View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 06:47 PM

I think it depends on what you want (and can afford).

I had one (inexpensive, but completely satisfactory) Yamaha guitar for 20 years. Then I decided to buy a nicer guitar, and bought a Taylor. And then a Guild 12 string.

Having those nicer guitars very much increased the pleasure I got from playing. That was my stable for another 15 years.

Then I started taking fingerpicking lessons, and enjoyed playing even more, and decided to start exploring even nicer guitars. Soon, I had two guitars that were close to identical, except they were in different woods (mahogany and cedar vs EIR and spruce), and one had a cutaway. And I really enjoyed both for 6 or 7 years, until I sold one of them last Spring. Also bought a few other guitars in the past 5 years to hear different woods, hear different sizes, try different makers.

It has been great fun, and it hasn’t cost me much money to have these guitar adventures. I have usually bought used instruments, sometimes buy a guitar that is on sale for some reason (got a nice Martin 11 years for very cheap due to a “scratch and dent sale” at Musicians Friend).

Do I have more guitars than I need? Yes. Do my various guitars serve different functions? 75% of them do, the rest are pretty redundant, functionally speaking.

If I were you, I might be thinking about getting a nicer guitar instead of another S&P with a cedar top. But if you like the price and want to try a cedar top, and aren’t over-extending financially, there’s little potential for harm in buying the same guitarvin different woods: worse thing that happens is you are disappointed, and sell the guitar for a bit less than you paid. It’s not like you are betting your rent money on the Super Bowl.