View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znerken View Post
Thoughts? Florentine cutaway, or not, that's the question...
I have also commissioned a Greenfield (directly through Michael for early 2020), and I had my consultation with him just yesterday to establish the build specifications. I too was considering a cutaway, so I specifically asked Michael his opinion on the sonic differences between cutaway and non-cutaway. Without any hesitation, Michael emphatically stated that "...non-cutaways always sound better than cutaways".

He did further elaborate on that by saying that many may not have the ear to discern the difference; and further, that most wouldn't ever realize it, because they'd likely never have an opportunity to A/B two exact Greenfield guitars except for the cutaway option anyway. Additionally, he went on to say that even though some of those choosing the cutaway option do so for functional reasons (frequently play beyond the 14th fret), many others choose it simply because they prefer the aesthetics of a cutaway.

FWIW, I put a high premium on tone, and I very rarely play beyond the 14th fret; so, following our discussion, I opted to go with a non-cutaway...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia