View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 AM

Default Michael Greenfield Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Michael's shop is a very short drive away from my home. On a sunny day I can easily walk. There is no doubt in my mind that Michael will build you a wonderful guitar that will sound and look incredible.

RE having "one of the best collections in the world", whether that is true or not is a bit irrelevant. Most successful and established luthiers have plenty enough tone woods to build your dream guitar.

Besides, I'm not "skeptical to the wood" (interesting choice of words), I only pointed out that if I were to treat myself with a Greenfield guitar, I would want nothing but the most primo tone woods all around.

When it comes to rosewood, the most sought after pieces are fully quarter-sawn. There are some exceptions to this rule. Some flat-sawn woods show exceptional figure. Other woods are so rare or expensive that you have to compromise.

There's nothing worse than a piece of plain looking rosewood that is not quarter-sawn. You don't get the looks, you don't get the stability, you don't get the prestige -- nothing. Besides, cocobolo isn't so rare and expensive that you'd have to compromise.

My recommendation would be to ask for a fully quarter-sawn set of cocobolo for your guitar. I estimate 99% of the AGF crowd would agree with me on this.

RE the top, I trust that Michael only uses the best sounding tops he can find.

That said, if you think the top of this guitar looks great, you have nothing to worry about: https://eddiesguitars.com/acoustic-g...amm-instrument

If you don't like that top, let me know.

Thank you for a very informative answer :-) I actually talked to TNAG about this when I ordered, and I think I will request a highly figured set with perhaps sap. I too think the wood set in the photo(and other plain) often looks a little boring.

Well, I don’t like the duo tone of the top, to be honest.

Last edited by Znerken; 05-14-2018 at 01:07 AM.