View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
Of course, and that's how I tended to use it.

Its layout is fairly logical, with the bass/middle/treble sections laid out side by side with identical controls. There are switches that allow you to choose between broad, moderate and narrow boost/cuts, then a knob for centering the frequency to boost or cut, and finally a boost/cut knob for each band.

If I was sitting in the audience using the ParaEQ to perfect someone else's tone, I'd probably love it.

It's a different thing to be trying to dial it in for my own tone when it's on the floor as a part of my little pedalboard. It's quite hard to decide whether I'd be better off using the narrow or broad cuts, for example, or whether to adjust in the lower part of the mids section or the upper part of the lows section. It's too easy to get in the weeds with those tweaks, mentally speaking.

Note that my main reason for using an EQ is controlling feedback. My K&K Trinity sounds great through the Red Eye Twin, but I want to be able to grab and reduce any freqs that want to go into feedback.

It's fairly simple to use a graphic eq to hone in on particular frequencies that are causing issues. I like that simplicity when I'm adjusting from the stage. Consider that I'm also concerned with my vocal sound, remembering and delivering my songs, and trying to keep a gig moving along. So simpler and more intuitive is better.
I went ahead and ordered the MXR 10-band to try. It’s definitely simpler. The lowest and highest frequency bands are likely useless though.
Like yourself, I can’t see me trying to EQ with the Empress from the stage area, it’s nice but I am looking for the simplest way possible and for the same reasons as you.
If this doesn’t work, I might try the L.R. Baggs Align EQ. It was designed for use with acoustic guitars and their specific troublesome frequencies.
It has more to offer than the MXR, notch filter and an HPL.
I dismissed the Tech 21 as an option because people complained it was difficult to use on the fly due to its small sized knobs and difficulty reading the txt and numbers. The unit itself received good ratings.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster