View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Default My take on the CA Cargo Travel Guitar...

First off, I'd like to say that it was a pleasure to meet AGF moderator "Big Daddy" Joel McKenzie at Sam Ash Charlotte, N.C. last night. Now I can put a face to the name. CA representative Jay Morrissey was there with a number of Composite Acoustics’ models to demo. I was there for one reason. To try out the Cargo.

Needless to say I was not disappointed. Like others, I was actually blown away by this little guitar with a big sound & feel. One of my concerns after playing a baby Taylor and a mini Martin was that I would feel cramped playing inside of the small scale but that was absolutely not the case with the Cargo. Both the Taylor and Martin travel gits were extremely uncomfortable to play (for me). I'm 6'-2" and fairly large hands.

The 1-3/4" spacing provided plenty of room and made this guitar feel more like a full size in my hands. The neck radius was also very comfortable. I also liked the durable road tuff finish. The one I played was Charcoal Grey with electronics.

As far as sound goes there is no comparison. Cargo wins hands down. Both the BT & mini Mrtn sounded boxy to me. Like others before me have said this little guitar packs a punch and it ain't hurtin in the low end dept. either. To me the sound did not seem boxy at all but very open & balanced when fingerpicker or flat picked. Nice glassy highs too. I didn't plug it up but I'm sure it doesn't disappoint when amplified.

As far as justifying price, the fact that you can have an extremely portable/virtually indestructible guitar that sounds and plays this good does it for me!

To me CA guitars sound fantastic. Compared to wood they produce their own distinct sound & tonal dynamics, just like any quality guitar made of solid spruce/mahogany or spruce/rosewood etc. produces its own distinct sound & tonal dynamics. It's all good to my ears. The fact that these guitars are virtually maintenance free, and impervious to weather conditions and temperature changes makes them all the more appealing. CA is onto something great!

Jay if you’re out there, thanks for stopping by Sam Ash for the demo session!