View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 07:32 AM

I remember those but with a dad who started collecting cars before an early death I was exposed to American cars decades older that I always though there the first super cars.

Before we had consolidation and a few giants there were small shops and there was really interesting innovation with some name brands. Also innovative materials use.

There were overhead cam engines long ago, front and all wheel drive, hidden headlights and streamlining - really, 1930s stuff. Cords, the Chrysler/Plymouth/DeSoto Air Flow, and Pierce-Arrow had streamlined lights, aluminum and I believe cast aluminum body parts before all that.

I did not get it visiting the Henry Ford museum as a kid in the 1960s and maybe display was different then. The summer before last we visited and you see some of those greats in the context of how long an average family had to work to buy one. That also lets you redefine what a super car is. Some innovators were out of reach and some attainable.

Finally, on the Ford GT comment. That last Henry Ford visit let me get a photo of my wife and born same year most famous Ford GT in the same photo.

BTW, a trip to the Henry Ford and Detroit might surprise you. Take your passport and have dinner at Motor Burger across the river. Do the F150 tour after you see the museum and village to see how far we've come.