View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Hi David,

Thanks for your comments! To answer your questions, I cut the moulds on a bandsaw and sand them to accuracy leaving a .090" gap which is the finished thickness of the laminated sides I do. The bottom or male part of the mound is supported by the stand making it more rigid than the top female mound. I use
medium MDF board because it's has a little more flexibility than plywood. The sequence of placing the clamps is important to eliminate any gaps. You start the clamps at the waist and work out each way from there so you aren't blocking in gaps in the outer more flexible female mound.

Hope that made sense!
Mark
Yea that makes perfect sense.
My next guitar will be a different shape and i'm going to need to make a new mould. My current one was made with a bandsaw and sanding, but as the only bandsaw I have access to has a 1" blade it doesnt do curves very well and due to the amount of sanding I had to do I was never completely happy with its final accuracy. For the next one i'm tempted to get it cnc'd, or at least one 'level' cnc'd and then create the rest with a copy router. And then if i do go to the trouble of going to a cnc place, i think i'll get some templates made to make a real side bender in the future and my plan is to make it solid so its a bit like the inside of your lamination mould in such a way that perhaps it can double up for that job if I ever go in the side laminating direction... decisions decisions lol

Thanks again!
David