Thread: mic test...
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 12:14 AM

Default mic test...

Well I wanted to do a comparison test of my mics to see which is best for recording acoustic guitar. The mics I sampled were:

1. Blue Baby Bottle

2.Shure 57 Beta A

3. AT-2020

4. MXL V-69 ME

5. Superlux CM-H8A

6. Matching pair of MXL 603S

I used a Pono DS-20, same XLR chord and same settings on the interface. I had to turn off the Phantom power for the 57 test.

I was blown away by the Baby Bottle, it sounded better than I hoped for...I had a really week signal from the Shure 57 Beta, AT 2020 was surprisingly very good, not as strong as the Baby Bottle but definitely good quality sound, a little level adjustment and it would be right there. The MXL V-69 sounded great. I went back and boosted the level on the recording of the Shure 57 and it too then sounded pretty good. I haven't used the V-69 or AT 2020 for a while, but both would make a good match for the Baby Bottle for a stereo recording.

I bought the Superlux many years ago...it's a Chinese mic I got cheap. It sounded okay 15 years ago when I didn't have any other mic. But in today's comparison it sounded bad compared to the others I have now.

The 603s's sounded very good. I was surprised.

I'm sorry I can't share the sound samples with you, the copyright police would nail me.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 07-24-2016 at 05:15 AM.