View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Guitargeak,

Love the guitar and play it a lot ! Have quickly adapted to the slightly larger neck radius ("flatter" feel) compared to my '89 Taylor 810. Like you, have been testing different strings looking for that special sound and feel (as perceived by my senses). Came with John Pearce 600L which sounded pretty good but challenging for me to play (tension). Elixir Nano PB 11's sound great and playability is better for me, but not there yet. DR Sunbeams 11-50 PB have nice sound and great feel, but a bit subdued and jangly on the high strings when I dug into it. Thought I ordered some DR Sunbeams 12's PB's but received DR Rare 12's PB instead. Just put them on -- loud and too soon to access tone. Good thing is that the playability is decent for me and they sound pretty good at this point.. I plan on playing the Rares for a few days and then throw on the Sunbeams 12's PB's when they arrive. My guess is that I'll settle on one of those (for now anyway). Let me know how the Ernie Ball PB's work out. In addition to strings, I'm also experiments with different picks (I'm mainly a strummer). Again, really enjoying my new Larrivee and fine tuning it to my personal taste is a lot of fun! CHEERS!
Sounds good.
I use the Larrivee for strumming and my Taylor 12 Fret for finger stuff. I too was not used to the tension of the JP lights. That dad-gum Taylor is a short scale and unbelievably easy to play. But she doesn’t have near the headroom that the Larry does.
The Ernie Balls that I’m using are med/light and seem to have less tension than the JP lights - go figure. Easier to play.
-Takamine EAN40c-12