View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 AM

Default CE Sobel -- A couple 00+'s

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to the forum and have been working part time and now full time for the last 4 years as a classical guitar builder in Ridgefield, Washington. This year for some reason I had a large demand for small bodied steel string guitars and so I thought it would be cool to post a couple of the commissions I'm working on right now. The body size is between a 00 and a 000, although closer to a OO, hence the "OO+". It'll feature a 12 fret dovetail joint and a pinless bridge among other things. Guitar 1 is Sitka/East Indian and Guitar 2 is Redwood/Cocobolo. The overall design is based off my mentor Jeff Elliott's hybrid X and fan bracing for really light tension strings, although I've adapted both of these for my customers who prefer regular light tension.

Onto the build... First, cutting the top and rosette. I bought these billets from Jeff and it was somewhat hard to tell initially if it was going to be that good since they were so old. Mmmmmm... thankfully this one turned out to be one nice billet!

The rosette is spalted amboyna burl with bloodwood and satinwood lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2199.jpg (41.5 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg Sitka.jpg (34.2 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg Hudson Rosette.jpg (39.1 KB, 620 views)