View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Not at all. That's why the businesses that have 30 day, or more, evaluation and return policies. It is the preferred way to shop for violins and other high-end instruments - to include guitars.
I agree that this could be a solid approach, but paying shipping both ways for theee guitars would be about the cost of a plane ticket for a day to somewhere (say Nashville) where you could have a whirlwind tour trying a lot more than theee instruments, including some older ones and broader selections of used inventory. I’d rather spend that money on a great experience than fedex, but that’s me.

So, you’ve received a lot of good suggestions. And it’s super subjective - these are all just peoples’ opinions, mine included.

I’ve owned one and played several more Bashkins - and agree that both the man and his instruments are great. That one on the forum right now seems a very cost effective entry point if you’re going for that kind of sound. (And “how you intend to use it” is more important than a target tone - the question is really: what guitar will allow you to coax your desired tone?)

So, to expose my biases, right now, for OMs, I have a 1933 OM-18, a 1941 OOO-18, a Borges OM-28 (Adirondack/Madagascar), a Collings OM-1A JL, and two Wilborn Ellie Belles (Sitka/mahogany and cedar/cocobolo).

So, I lean vintage in tone (Wilborns excepted, although his voice is less fingerstyle focused than many of the handbuilt guys - he’s a great player, plays with a pick (as do I), and his work for me. Before his recent price increase, he would have been a perfect choice for this price ceiling.).

Some have suggested the SGGC OM PW. I’ve played many and think they’re pretty good. They have been aggressive with their price increases, but you can often find them used for $2,500. For that, I think they’re a good value, but you might reasonably conclude that it’s not that much different or better than your OM-21 (a shining star in Martin’s standard lineup!).

Bourgeois has always enticed me, but I have yet to play one (and I’ve played a lot) that left me thinking - I need to own this. So, I put them in the category of “I must be missing something” because a lot of people whose opinions I respect love them, but I don’t get it. Still, I’d fully suggest trying one out (as I will continue to do).

So, I’m admittedly a Collings fan boy. I own a lot of them and I love them, including the precise and unforgiving tone. I’m a better player as a result of playing guitars that highlight my mistakes. That said, I have caught and released two Collings OMs over the years without regret. That sonic signature that characterized Collings, to me, accentuated the worst of the OM and the Collings sound. What makes their dreadnoughts and many other models so intoxicating is what made their OMs sound shrill and thin.

But then Jim Baggett and Julian Lage started chatting with Bill and those conversations led to the development of the Traditional line with some different appointments, construction techniques, voicing targets, and gloriously sexy handmade cases.

I still really like the original Collings sound on just about everything but the OMs, but the Traditional tone is a great twist on that theme. It’s warmer, a little darker, a little bassist, in short, it sounds a bit more vintage. Still, super articulate and clear, but it’s a nice twist.

Well, Julian wanted to take this even farther and the result is the OM-1A JL. I just got mine a week ago and I’m obsessed. It’s the best Collings OM that I have ever played. It captures the warmth of my old Martins and the depth that comes from aging, but it’s still really articulate and plays like a Collings (read: perfectly). Honeymoon period for sure, but I’ve been getting lost in this one.

So, yet another “buy what I like” suggestion, but you’ve got rosewood covered, and I’d at least consider mahogany. It’s not bassier per se, but there is a warmth to mahogany guitars that’s not there in the rosewood ones. Ears are different and tone is notoriously tough to describe, but if you haven’t spent some time with mahogany, I’d give it a listen - you may find that you like having chocolate and vanilla rather than French vanilla and Madagascar vanilla.

The OM-1A JL is out of your price range new, but you should be able to find a used example at or near that point. If you get the chance to play one, I’d highly recommend it - very special stuff!

Otherwise, others have suggested the Authentic or golden era OM-18s and OOO-18s, many of which would come in way south of the target. There are some good examples there of what I think would be a complementary and enjoyable flavor.

Good luck!