View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Lets add the sheer amount of content available online, cell phones, and DWI laws. You can Netflix and Chill at home for $9.99 a month plus internet, and even if people make it out of the house, they're on their phones with social media all night.

I was at an open mic last night at a local coffee shop. Just went to listen. Didn't play. Mostly 50+ year old guys with guitars and iPads. Most were on their phones when they were in the audience. It's not just the young kids. Technology is KILLING live music. Attention spans are non existent.

The nice thing about the Bose sound is that it’s very unobtrusive. People can easily hear themselves talk, and that’s a good thing in many situations. It's also easy to get a decent sound without a lot of experience running sound. I've never heard a L1, L1C, or an S1 sound bad. I've never heard any of them sound amazing either though. They always sound good to decent to me.

I don't hear a lot of warmth in the low mids, and they sound "crunchy" to me when people try to push them. I've seen them fail miserably in a noisy setting. I've seen them feed back too, and the 180 degree spread isn't always optimal in tight locations. People love them though, and they definitely work for many cats.

That Bose sound can be achieved with traditional PA equipment and some negative EQ if you know what to cut. I pull out some lows and low mids. It takes the punch out of the system and makes for more of an "easy listening" experience.

As far as consistent volume from 5 feet away vs. 50 feet away: Bose does NOT defy the laws of physics. I played through one where I felt like the thing was gonna blow my head off from about 6 feet behind me and people said that we weren't loud enough past the midway point in the room.

IMO of course. YMMV.My updated rig. Won't embed for some reason. 7 minute set up time!
Played a monthly show at the venue where the mandatory house system is an L1 a couple of weeks ago. I am just going to have to say yes to most all of this. Especially the laws of physics part. Well put. The Bose gets the job done but maybe I just don't care for the Bose sound. I know this is the church of Bose here so sorry to all the fans. It is good for you and that is what matters.

I do see some show up with their ipads. The get off my lawn part of me says prepare better and leave those things at home, but do what works I guess. And I do spot the social media addicts at shows sometimes. I find it especially interesting when a couple comes in, sits at a table and both immediately pull out their cell phones and start surfing. Maybe they have a future to together but not one I would ever want.

hunter

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-18-2018 at 11:56 AM.