View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 02:02 PM

Like some others here, I'm a person who's gone back and forth over the years. I think of acoustic and electric (and for that matter MIDI guitar) as separate instruments that share a common fret board.

The timbre of acoustic is unreproducible on anything else. I don't think most MIDI sampled acoustic guitars get very close. I'd miss it terribly if I didn't have access to it. On the other hand, the expressiveness of single string work on an amplified electric guitar can't be duplicated on acoustic either. And MIDI lets me indulge my desire to write string parts using a closer analog to the real instrument and with neck positions and string intervals I have some familiarity with.

Funny thing, for the past few months I find myself playing electric bass on more stuff than any other single thing. Bass just sounds so good in most combinations of instruments: with acoustic guitar, with electric, with keyboards, even with bowed string arrangements.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....