View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Well, the Tonedexterized tracks sound vastly superior to the dry tracks, but I can't help but think it would sound even better and be less trouble to just get your hands on a good condenser mike or two and experiment with those. I like the fact that Tonedexter provides a good platform for experimentation (as you did here) or with different mikes or mike positions. I am thinking of going back and redoing my original wavemaps now that I am more familiar with and comfortable with the Tondexter. Interesting experiment, though.
I was very happy with my first round of training using a Neumann KM185, but I switched to a Shure SM81 and liked it a lot more. There was an upper midrange peak that I just couldn’t dial out of the Neumann wave maps.

I’m going to go in and try the SM81 on some different mic positions, but so far this is a drastic improvement. Try as many mics and positions as you can. Keep records of mics and positions, save what you like and delete the rest.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have a 1952 Gibson J-45 on the way with a K&K. I can’t wait to profile that guitar.

Your post has me wanting to try an SM57 and a Heil PR 35 just to see how they sound.