View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

There she is! Sweet. I really think you will end up with something special! Are you going to go with a standard Bridge or recreate the Trapeze?
If you are using a bridge with pins you will need to install a Bridge plate.

ANYTHING you see at Stew Mac Look around for in your local hardware!
Also, look into a company called Rockler. Maybe you have something like it on your side of the pond? I just got a set of Micro mesh pads (they sand and polish frets to 12,000 grit polish. Rockler was half the price of Stew Mac and Rockler can be expensive!

Are you going to just even out the back binding and splice in? Is it Rosewood or Walnut binding? Are there black lines in the binding at all? If its more of a clear dark brown it may be Walnut or stained Mahogany. Save the peices you take off so you have them to attempt a match.
If you had a binding cutter it would likely be easier to replace the whole thing as aposed to attempting to match it. But doing it by hand I would attempt the splice.
Looks like Spruce, not Cedar. I wouldn't put money on the bet though BTW the restoration project I just told you of has the same fretboard!
Is there any fretboard damage from the fret removal? If there is Stew Mac just did a newsletter on how to fix the chips.
Well Fliss, Good luck with her! Feel free to drop me a line anytime.