View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchutney View Post
If you're getting a custom mandola made you could consider getting a 10 string one, an extra pair of B strings I think it was I had, which would give you those extra high notes without needing to travel so far up the neck.
Adding high B strings and tuning G-D-A-E-B is an utter waste of a mandola for two important reasons:

1. A standard tuned 'dola is tuned C-G-D-A, like a viola. The body sized and dimensions are optimized for that range. Cutting out the C wastes all that great low tone. If you don't want that deep sonorous mellow sound just get a mandolin.

2. Most 'dolas have a scale length around 16" or greater. Your E's have to be around .0095 or smaller or they'll snap. The B's would have to be around .006!

I have a sweet 16-1/2" 10 string mandola tuned C-G-D-A-E (and I need to use .0095 for those E's on this scale, .010 break after or during a serious gig or session). It covers the mandola and mandolin range, sounds and plays great. Don't be afraid of going up the neck - that's what its there for.