View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
My grandson is going to look at this archtop tomorrow
Any ideas on what it is worth?
Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...etplace_search

That looks similar to my dadís old Silvertone arch top (his is blonde all over) which I believe he originally purchased during the late 60s from Sears.

His was neglected and left under a pool table for about 20 years (at least) and when I grabbed it one day I decided to get it back into playing condition. Hereís what I did (maybe give your son an idea of issues):

The arms on the open gear tuners get bent easily, and the gear actually was loose - so those needed replacing.

The glue on the plastic nut had worn out and the nut literally fell off when removing the original strings (dad was definitely not a player), but I was more than happy to replace it with a new bone one.

The floating bridge was still in great shape and the trapeze tailpiece was still in good condition albeit a bit dusty.

The floating pick guard was loose and had the start of a slight crack.

If you search reverb youíll see the values for Silvertones are all over the spectrum. Kay made a bazillion of these birch topped boxes and thereís a great website silvertoneworld.net that kinda does an overview for some of the eras and models. Worth a look!