View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
A pair of panels that are hinged together to for a V in front of you, and another behind you, can do a lot. The one in front is to absorb some of the sound going out into the room, so less of the initial energy hits a reflective surface, and the one behind you can dampen reflections coming directly at the mic. You can also reduce reflections with other materials, like moving pads, quilts, etc., and even just one big moving pad in front of you to reduce the audio energy getting past the mic and starting to bounce around can help.

I spent some of this off time last year trying single mic recording, and, frankly, it's more trouble than it's worth, IMO. (But, yes, it does work for some folks.) To me, having one mic that picks up mostly vocals and one that picks up mostly guitar, even with a tremendous amount of bleed, gives you enough control in mixing to fix a minor imbalance that might mean a complete re-take if recorded with a single mic.

If you are just capturing an idea, then I'd just use a single mic or even a digital recorder, but for a performance capture, 2 mics is it for me.

I’m using one set of hinged panels in front of me (3’ x 6’ each panel) and I was impressed by the results. I’d like to do the 2nd set as Keith suggests above but it’s getting crowed in my 10’10’ music room. I can probably live with what I have but agree with everyone above that effective acoustic treatment offers the most bang for the buck in getting consistency with your home recording efforts.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)