View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

The sound you hear in the room includes the sound of the room, so a small condenser that is close to the instrument will not pick up much room, so cannot sound the same as what you hear. (Even if microphones "heard" the way humans do...)

In general, though, not picking up the room is a good thing, unless you have a great room for recording, and your room sounds fairly un-ideal. Capturing the instrument, and then adding the room ambience with EQ and reverb are the common tools for home recorders.

As other threads suggest and the topic gets woven in and out of these things, room treatment, even with some temporary things like moving pads over boom mic stands or something homemade, can make a really big difference if you have a problematic space.

And, keep moving the microphone around and keep notes. Post your clips here and ask for suggestions. I would probably try no closer than 6" and maybe move it out up to 10" to get more of the entire instrument.

Maybe try something as basic as an SM57 if you have it.