View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 12:18 PM

There are more knowledgeable and accomplished recordists here, take my response as more from the perspective of someone who's done a lot of recording work quickly, and I post it only to give you another perspective/data point in your "survey" of listens.

Your mix isn't bad, the elements of the song are all there. What do I hear that could be improved:

As mentioned upthread there are times that the vocals and the main guitar seem to be competing for the same pan and EQ space. This was the first thing I noted.

I noted the pickup sound on the acoustics. Not ideal, but I tolerated it better than some upthread. In my case with live recordings, I sometimes get worse issues when I use mics on acoustics. For example, one issue I'll run into is off-mic bleed into the acoustic guitar SDC mic from the lead vocal that remains in the mix and makes the lead vocal sound worse. Almost all listeners are going to listen to the vocal and won't give a dram about the somewhat artificial quality of a guitar pickup.

Speaking of vocals. The vocals have better singing that I ever have from myself in my dreams. I have tried over the years to polish the road-apple that is my singing. My pitch issues and other faults won't go away no matter what level of recording tech sound improvements are applied, though I still think (illogically?) I should try. The vocals on your song sounded a little bright and very slightly thin on my monitors. Not sure what I'd do about that, and what I'd suggest might not be what better recordists would suggest.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 01-02-2021 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo