View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

When I first started playing acoustic guitar I went down the individual pedal rabbit hole and over the years after a lot of trial and error I built up a pretty good rig that gave me what I needed to get a decent acoustic guitar and vocal tone that I could feed to a PA. I spent a lot of money and had a boat load of cords to deal with but I ended up with a decent pedal board and got decent tone.

But the more I played, the more I longed for simplicity. If only I could have everything in one single, powerful acoustic guitar and vocal amplifier with multiple inputs that gave outstanding sound with a pole mount hole that would allow me to put it up on a pole behind me, I'd be SO happy. And maybe someone would make said amplifier run on battery as well so I wouldn't need external power.

Here is a wish list of the things I would need stuffed into that magic box to accomplish that:

A full featured programmable digital mixer with effects and color display
A highly intuitive UI with extensive dedicated parameter control
4 XLR mic plus 1/4" inputs each with Class-A solid-state Mic pre-amps and 48v phantom power
Reverb
Delay
Chorus
Compressor
Gate
Mid sweepable EQ
High Pass Filter
Notch Filter
Phase reverse
Bluetooth capability
Main mix (selectable as Direct Out)
Aux Mix outputs that allow your mix (with EQ setting) to sending to house PA or other speakers
Active crossovers
Main mix (selectable as Direct outs)
Monitor Right output and Aux Mix outputs to send to House PA or additional speakers.
Built-in 11000mAh Lithium Iron Phosphate (LifePO4) battery that runs 5-6 hours

Thankfully, someone stuffed all of the above into a small, 30lb wood box that also has an 8″ woofer, a 5 1/4″ mid speaker and two 1″ silk-dome tweeters that puts out 120 watts of power.

It's called the D6-58 from Elite Acoustics Engineering (EAE). Whether if you are looking for a practice amp, a battery powered busking amp, a stage amp for small to medium size venues, a stage monitor for larger venues, the D6-58 can meet all these needs. And if you wanted all of the above but without the amplifier in just a single, digital mixer that is also battery powered, they have that as well in the EAE StompMix X6.

Sure, collecting a bunch of individual pedals can be fun but in the end for me I wanted a single one-and-done, do-it-all, battery-powered solution. The EAE gear is not inexpensive but I definitely spent more on the individual pedals than the single solution I ultimately ended up with. You can read my detailed review of the D6-58 and StompMix X6 complete with demo videos at the following links:

Update 2! NAD: EAE D6-58 120W Battery Powered Acoustic Guitar And Vocal Amplifier

NMD: Elite Acoustics StompMix X6 Six Channel Digital Mixer - post live gig update!