View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
What taints my view of Ovation is the number of players I have seen at bars using them but with tons of chorus added on. Not sure what it is about that brand, but I see more guys using chorus with them than any other guitar!

With that said, I listen to some of the 70/80's live recordings by guys like Cat Stevens, Paul Simon, Lindsey Buckingham etc., who all used Ovation and their tone is honestly quite nice. Most of them actually had worse tone once they switched from Ovation to Martin/Taylor guitars with Fishman electronics.

In terms of the LB6, I wanted to try that one but when it arrived, I realized it was just a bit too long for my Taylor saddle. I am not one for getting into altering the saddle slot, especially for a pickup I have never used.

With regards to the Takamine, palathetic pickup, I still think it's one of the best. If I had a couple guitars that I loved and just needed a gigging guitar, I would probably get a Tak, Maton etc.

As a point of reference, I am a big fan of a band here in Canada, Great Big Sea. The two guitar players use Takamine guitars and since they are an energetic celtic/folk group, they often do a lot of strumming, which is more on the aggressive side. This is the type of music my band plays as well. They did a live album and it's one of the only live albums I can think of where the band is strumming aggressively and the guitars actually don't sound bad haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uRR...1aD-PU&index=2
Scott, I'd love to attend one of your band's shows as what you play is the kind(s) of music I really dig having grown up through the Folk Era with bands like The Dubliners, The Clancy Brothers, along with The Kingston Trio and other folk groups. I've only recently heard of Great Big Sea as one of their songs was recently played on NPR's World Cafe by host Raina Douris, a name you're probably familiar with.

By the way, it was -42° Fahrenheit up in Timmins, Ontario, this morning, a place near and dear to my younger days.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-15-2022 at 01:54 PM.