View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gary, I had the original Aura Blender and always heard it as sounding the best of any of the Aura devices. I now have an Aura Spectrum DI and a ToneDexter that I never use. I now prefer to use only pickup/preamp systems along with some EQ here and there, and I prefer the amplified tone without using other enhancements. I now only play at home so my experiences may not be that of other players.
Ken,

The IR thing continues to fascinate me, although I certainly had my problems with an overly ambient sound, at times, when gigging with ToneDexter.

One of my best gigging rigs was using an onboard Aura-equipped little OO-size Cort guitar with the Aura Spectrum preamp. I was actually modeling with that guitar, since I would turn off the onboard Aura and use one of Spectrum's OM models which sounded much better (than the Cort's model specific sound images) to my ear. I never had feedback problems with that rig because it was a small guitar to begin with and I only needed around 35% sound image from the Spectrum. I'm still kicking myself for selling that guitar because the string spacing was a little too narrow for my taste.

Analog systems like the Anthem SL and iMix have also been good for live performance, but I doubt that I'll ever stop chasing the digital rainbow. Its been part of the fun for me.