View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I just welcomed into my collection a brand new Taylor 812ce-N crossover guitar and I’m quite pleased with the tone. Andy Powers re-braced and stiffened the back and sides of this series and I think it works well. This guitar is now as light as comparably priced classical guitars (3 lbs, 14 oz) and it shows as it is responsive and loud. You probably cannot accurately state anymore that Taylor over builds their nylon stringed guitars.

The guitar came with D’Addario Pro Arte Extra Hard strings. The lower bass strings were rich and full with strong sustain. The upper treble strings I found to be dull and “wonky” relative to the bass strings. I changed these out to the John Pearce/Thomastik Infeld Folk nylon strings and the improvement in the treble strings is significant compared to the D’Addario’s.

I don’t play classical. I added this guitar to add another voice to complement my steel string guitars. Would be curious to know what other crossover players might like or prefer string-wise.

Thanks!
I have a few notes about different configurations of crossover strings. Notes about a few I've used and a few I didn't end up getting to can be found at the bottom of this page:

Crossover Guitar