View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I can't say I've ever worked that out. My own range is bass, but I'm untrained, I don't practice singing much, and my comfort limit is G2-C4; I can actually get down to E2 (open 6th string) but not with enough power to be useful; and I can stretch up to D4 now and then. So I very nearly have two octaves absolute max, but only really an 11th (octave and 4th) within that.

So whatever song I want to sing, I'll bring it down (very rarely up!) to within that range. But if a song covers two octaves, that's obviously too wide for me in any key.
G2 wow that's quite a rumble, careful you don't set off a seismograph somewhere!

But that's a useful range you have, most folk pop blues songs are no more than an octave, the more interesting melodies are an octave +1 and some traditional songs have variations that might go octave + 2 scale tones but really most songs sung by untrained singers are no more than an octave.
So you can pretty much sing any vernacular type song you want and for the vast majority you get a choice of more than one key.
You might even be able to sing the Star Spangled Banner which unfortunately is beyond most Americans ( why did they choose that one?)

My useable range is an octave + 1 tone and that's after a lot of effort over a few years to stretch it beyond the octave.
A semitone either way makes a real difference to the degree I can make notes resonate or not so for any song over an octave I mostly don't get a choice of key that works for me.
I don't think you should judge people who alter the tuning of their instrument to suit their voice.
We don't all have your options.