View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 AM

Default Brazilian Flammang 00 Sunburst SOLD

SOLD
For Sale: A David Flammang L65 in Brazillian Rosewood

Selling always brings out hyperbolic language so I’d hope to convey the quality of this instrument by saying that it stands only with my McAlister Vintage Om (Amazon Rosewood) and Merrill 00-18 in tonal quality and is the guitar I have owned for the longest period of time in my adult life…. a list of guitars I have gone through on these boards is provided below for comparison purposes.

I purchased this guitar from a very experienced collector (of vintage and high-end vintage clones) here on AGF who shared my love of the 00 who was selling it to fund a Borges purchase.

There was a slight flaw in the purfling - so about 4 years ago I made an appointment with the guitar’s maker David Flammang to repair the small piece of purfling and sent it off.

Once David received the guitar he said he felt it had aged with an unbelievable voice and asked my permission to implement a couple of things he had learned since he built my guitar - primarily involving moving the bridge ——- he offered to do it at no cost, just for the opportunity to improve what he considered to be such an amazing instrument.

We spoke at length, I selected (at David’s suggestion) a Brazilian rosewood bridge replacement and David refinished the entire guitar using the original (11 year old at the time mature Addi top). The result is truly remarkable and to be honest, as I watch these boards regularly, David remains one of the most undervalued talents in the vintage clone business - and one of the best bargains.

As I mentioned, I still prefer this guitar to any others I have owned with the possible exception of a McAlister which is long gone now.

Specs:

Brazilian body
Adirondack Top
Brazilian bridge
Ebony fingerboard and (polished ebony) headstock

Scale: 25
Nut: 1 13/16ths
Bridge: 2 5/16ths
Case: Top level Cedar Creek

Tonally vivid, complex and liquid as the best Brazillian rosewood tends to be, with a very vintage bloom and outstanding dynamics ( a 14 year old Adirondack top). A build quality to match any of the instruments I have owned.

This guitar has been played regularly and without interruption over the years and serviced very regularly by a competent technician - it is in excellent condition with only the very slightest indication of wear under close inspection. There are NO structural issues. The guitar was completely re-fretted, new bridge and neck set as well as complete buff out by the original builder within the past 4 years. The action is correct and I will include both a bone and a fossilized saddle (one higher than the other) so you may adjust to preference.

Over the past decade, I have purchased - and subsequently sold on this Forum the following guitars:

3 Froggy Bottoms (Koa, Madagascar & Lacewood all with Adirondack tops)
3 Martin Custom Shop (Pommelle, Cocobolo & Honduran Rosewood/ Adirondack)
2 Martin 000-18 GEs
Martin 000-18 Authentic 1937
2 Martin 00-28vs
Martin OM-28 Marquis
1954 Martin 00-28G (Brazillian)
UMGF Martin 00-18vs
2 Santa Cruz 00s ( A Mahogany Don Edwards & Eric Skye)
Bourgeois Custom OM (Brazillian/Englemann)
Goodall Parlor RP-14 (Madagascar/Engelmann)
Merril 00-18
1934 Gibson Jumbo
Collings 00-1Mh
Northwood 00 Custom (Brazillian/Adirondack)
McAlister Vintage OM-28 (Honduran Rosewood/Adirondack)

Looking back it’s downright embarrassing and makes me look cantankerous and fickle; but I mention these by way of reference both to my experience and preferences with guitars and to my bona fides as a Seller on this Forum. I have also posted on and off with some regularity.

THANKS to all the members who have sold guitars to me, bought guitars from me and largely provided my with an education and a community I continue to value with growing esteem as each year passes.

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by MWB5007; 05-18-2019 at 10:20 AM.