Thread: Chinese violins
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Way out of my budget (and skill set!) to buy a good one. Curious on why violins don't have some 'decent' lower-budget models available, akin to Yamaha's $200 range for guitars.
And on bows - I understand the good one can be more expensive, but I've seen some 'new style' ones that don't use horse hair so last much longer.
Good question. I'm unsure of the answer.

The bow is almost on equal footing with the instrument, so don't be surprised if you see recommendations for bows costing way more than you are speculating to pay for a "starter" instrument.

In my case I purchased a lower-end Coda bow which was on the order of $150 if I remember correctly. Bows are designed to be re-haired, but that will normally cost you $50-$75 to have a re-hair done. Depending on your technique you won't need that done often.

Violin can be a "challanging" instrument, and one of the quickest ways you can insure failure is working with synthetic hair. It's just not easy to pull tone from the synthetic hair, so don't shoot yourself in the foot by going for "longer lasting" bow hair.