View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 AM

"Rumba Catalan" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBKQpQPJVT8

Note: this is one of my favorite two Flamenco rumba's in the universe. Neither of the guitarists are Manitas de Plata or Paco de Lucia; they are Juan Maya "Marote" and (I believe) Habichuela. The cut is on an LP I own called ("Flamenco Fire") and is entitled "Rumba Catalan" (see below)...

The other rumba is the one on the "Furia" LP with Carmen Amaya, "Marote" and Paco Amaya (Carmen's father). "Entre dos Aguas" doesn't count....

I may be wrong, but I think this cut is a (politically incorrect) "in" joke in Flamenco, starting with the title "Rumba Catalan" on the LP "Flamenco Fire". Everybody sounds like they are having a drunken blast, and the letras are hilarious (the rumba - or rather its original form - is sung at the wedding scene in "Los Tarantos" by Chocolate, as I remember...

(Note: Rumba Gitana was a very, very peripheral palo in Flamenco until the early 60's, at that point, four-on-the-floor rhythm made its way into Flamenco since it was the only rhythm marketable to foreigners....

Nevertheless, it is a full out example of the way the Gitanos understand rumba, as opposed to "civilians", and it is really fun, besides. Bulerias is more complex and nuanced, but you'll get the idea....

Here's what I get for the first letra:

"Bohemio...
caminante peregrino
tu que va por lo camino
desde que te conoci...

Bohemio....
Orgulloso de tu vida
porque tu va silencia
de tu carinoso aqui....

That introduces you to the context of the rest:

"Un beso en tu labio di...
"porque, porque, porque..."

(I'll stop now....

Note: (Catalans are from northern Spain (Barcelona, etc), not from Andalucia (where most flamenco is indigenous (Jerez, Sevilla, etc.), as was Carmen Amaya y familia ... ) I may be wrong, but....

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-06-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Edited language