View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post

Most of the time my LUFS measurements are in the same ball park as K14 but I'm not sure they are all the time!
I'm no expert on this, but I think they are different, but end up getting to similar goals. All Bob Katz's stuff seems to do us move the 0 marker on the scale. So in K14, his "0" is really -14db, it's just sort of lying to you for your own good :-). That lets you "push the meters" into the red, like you would on an analog console. If you do that, and the sound sort of centers around the 0 mark, then you're probably averaging around -14db. The LKFS/LUFS metric is apparently based on RMS values, which is the overall average volume, (a better measure than peaks, it seems to me, especially on acoustic guitar, where a single transient could hit zero on an otherwise quiet track), and also ends up meaning an overall average around -14, if you have -14 LKFS.

I noticed that Adobe Audition recently replaced it's "perceived loudness" tool with LKFS as a target instead.

One thing I like about the TC meter is the history, which makes it really easy to see where the bulk of your volume is, how often you go over and so on.

Anyway, this is definitely something I'm still trying to figure out. Maybe Joe Hanna or
Bob Womack, who probably deal with this stuff professionally can add some light to the topic (probably worth a thread on its own).