Thread: Memorizing
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I like to choose two or three songs to learn at the same time. Preferably in different keys.
Printed lyric sheet, with or without chords. I'll transpose to fit my voice anyway. Work one out so you know what you want to do. Next, work out the other. Then alternate between the two. tweaking slightly as you go. Try multiple keys at first. Once you settle on a key. Concentrate on lyrics. I like to loose the lyric sheet as soon as possible. Usually a week or so. Then I'll tear it up and throw it away. In the past this made it clear if you would be able to recall this song at a moments notice. Keep alternating these two songs every time you pick up your guitar. Gradually add in a familiar tune till I can put the two in a five or six song set.
Currently, thanks to a member here. One of the tunes I'm working on. Is Fire and Rain. Years ago, My band did a version of this song, with a different chord progression, 5 part harmony. It was really good. But I thought I'd learn How it was done originally. Since I am now on a solo path. I was surprised at how much different our version was. The other song I'm doing at the same time is Don't Know Why, by Nora Jones. I like taking a female song and twisting it around for a male voice. It kinda has an ( Extreme ) More Than Words flavor. I find it's easier for me to remember. When I learn a song without being influenced by someone else's interpretation. I try to stay away from youtube instruction videos as much as possible. I like my version to be mine.