View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
You may want to consider a pass around to a few musicians, to get some input on the neck shape, before committing to it. Just thinking in terms of target audience, which probably would be more in the flat-picking category, and there, many use the thumb for fretting. I can say from personal experience it's not too enjoyable to do on a D profile neck, unless the hands were relatively large. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

The cutaway shape is reminiscent of the Stephen's Extended Cutaway back in the 80's, designed by Stephen Davies. He actually had an acoustic and electric version, which he licensed at the time to Washburn (and which Washburn still uses on some electrics.) Kind of cool to see it in a one piece CF design. I owned a Washburn EC-29 (yes, 29-fret electric!) which featured the aforementioned cutaway.
The first 3 prototypes were tested by guitar players, this shape is a continuation of that model. In an ideal world i can order a CNC routed aluminium block and have a 3d modeler design an intricate mold where the necks are interchangable in the same body. Then there could be a classical width, modern neck width and many neckshapes. When this wooden plug is done, guitar players could feel it and comment, but I can`t really change it because this 10k is as good as gone. I am going with what feels comfortable to me + the feedback of the people that tested the 3 prototypes of the Hybrid 1.0.

Although the handmade mold that i am making now could do 100 bodies, this 10k loan has been made with 8 units in mind. Chances are there will be a new mold (or multiple molds with their own unique neck shapes) if i can secure an actual venture capital investment of 200k with these 8 units. I have to prove with these 8 that i can build on high consumer quality + demonstrate there is a demand for it.

The cutaway has a dual function in my design, easy access all the way to the 24th fret, but also reflect the sound out of the soundhole and soundport, Here is a movie about that : https://youtu.be/fDvsbpsCm9c?t=219

Last edited by littlesmith; 04-07-2016 at 07:45 AM.