View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorquin View Post
I haven't given Breedlove a look and perhaps I should have.
What model designations separate the USA models from Imports?

I LOVE the sound of my Martin OMC-28 BUT can't get used to the wider neck and string spacing. It's 1.75" at the nut and 2 1/4" bridge spacing.
I also have an old Guild D40, my first good acoustic, and it's a bit small at 1 5/8" at the nut. So……I need an 00, 000, or OM, preferably with a cutaway, that has a 1 11/16" Nut and 1 1/8" String spacing.

Any suggestions for a Breedlove that fits that bill?
One area where I think Breedlove could use a kick in the butt is on how frequently they switch around their product lines. Some folks suggest this is to avoid sales of used guitars from cannibalizing the new ones. For all I know, that is true.

Currently, the imports are the Solo, Studio and Stage series. The domestics are the Oregon, Premier, Legacy, Master Class and Exotic. There are not a whole lot of visual distinctions between imports and domestic instruments. That might be something else I would advocate for. But what the heck do I know about it?

Both of my Breedloves are the entry level American-made products, and I traded in Larrivee 03 series guitars on each one. I think this is the part of the market where Breedlove really shines. Once you get into the $2,500 and up category, there are more better options, including stuff like the Martin OM21. But at this price point of about a grand to $1,500, you might get a Martin like the GPCPA4 with various components made out of cardboard and epoxy or something like that -- and may be made in Mexico. Don't get me wrong. There are some nice guitars made in Mexico, and at the same time US or even Canadian guitars can command a premium due to lower volumes and the perception that manufacturers source their lower-end models from other locales.

In the intermediate term, Breedlove will probably give Larrivee, which I also think very highly of, a good run for their money.