View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
Remember the 1-Meg resistor across the output trick. Works great at rolling off the bass for PUTW SBT's, but also for K&K (which is the context I first heard about it.) I tried it with my PUTW with fair success, until I switched over to Takamine. I switched to Takamine CTP-2/Palathetic pickup guitars, and my pickup/preamp problems are OVER, but the above trick works sometimes for those that need it.
I did this awhile a go, although I used a 1.3MOhm resistor for the 5Mohm input of the Rane AP13 - I did the Math and this is what I came up with. It did make a different but not as much as I would have liked. I still need to cut bass. Externally my Lakewood D54 isn't a massive sounding guitar with huge low end. It solid and really well balanced for a Dread. But it still needs bass adjustment - what ever is going on inside.

FWIW I tried the K&K directly into my soundcards preamp (Emu 1616 with Neutrik preamps @ 1MOhm impedance) using a standard TS cable. 1MOhm is the optimal input impendance. It still sounded a bit boomy. My Sunrise in the same situation had as much bass or more but the clarity was much better and no boom.

So be aware that while the resistor probably will help you may also need to adjust the low frequencies as well. (On my Rane I cut 40Hz a bit, almost all 100Hz - my feedback frequency on this guitar - and may adjust the 250Hz as well).

Thanks,
JP