View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 AM

Default How low can one go?

I will try to keep this one short.....😜. I know that Ovations are not held in high regard here, but I am going to share my story anyway.
I ran across a very good deal on a guitar at GC short time back. It was a Glen Campbell Ovation (Korean) that was new for $600. I played a bit at the store, thought about it overnight, did some research ( some here) and brought it home. my thought was to leave my Taylor 810 at home and take a different guitar out for gigs. But, alas, I could not get the sound I wanted out of it. So I took it back and ordered a different model Ovation from another GC that was in excellent condition for a bit more $ (always, right?). It looked as new and had the best action I have played in many years and it sounded decent, but the electronics were wacky, as in defective. Back it goes. Back to the internet and found yet another Ovation, a 2778 LX (US made) in natural with the contour back, also in excellent condition. The action was a bit high so I had a friend that deals with these things look at it. I did not want to play the Taylor as I was thinking I would be disappointed with the Ovation, but it was out of my hands for a week. I broke down and went back to the 810 for an evening.....
The Ovation came back the next day and had decided that if I could not live with it I would return it once again (never once did the person at GC seem negative thru this process but encouraged me to get what I wanted) and start the search again.
Well, the Ovation is tremendous! The action and tone is very nice. My luthier friend mentioned that he thought it was a nice instrument and well worth the cost ($900). Then trio that I play with really thought it sounded nice. The more I play it the more I like it. I am thinking I like this Ovation as well as the Taylor. Unplugged as well.
What is wrong with me? At 71 have I went around the bend? Should I trade out the 810 for carbon fiber guitar? Or turn myself in for an attitude adjustment?
But it DOES sound nice.
And thanks for listening, feel better already 😅