View Single Post
Old 10-28-2022, 01:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Tab is not an inefficient way to read, imo for many of us.
Your mind is going to translate the notation to tab on the fretboard anyway unless you memorize every note location
How can one be a professional/expert level player without knowing the location of all the notes on the fretboard? I just can't fathom any other way to go about it. That's why I had to give up on DADGAD because all the notes are in the wrong places and I'm way to old to learn a whole new tuning just to play a half dozen or so songs that like. Plus, I rarely play anyone else's arrangement of anything and I can't improvise a new arrangement if I don't know where the notes are. I've managed to find notation for most of them and arranged the others myself.
I think maybe that's why many pick one favorite tuning and more or less stay in that tuning .... Al Petteway, Pierre Bensusan - DADGAD, Stephen Wake, Steve Baughman - Orkney tuning, etc.

Non-professionals like me do what they want, but memorizing all of the standard notes, at least to fret 14, wouldn't be that hard and now that I'm "teaching" myself classical it's probably a good idea.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 10-29-2022 at 10:27 AM.