View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Super job, Glenn! And....what a ton or work you put into this one. Your technical/engineering background certainly provides an assist with all of this! the finished product is really excellent and a treat for the ear!!
All the best,
Fred
Hi Fred,

As always, I appreciate your thoughts and comments, Fred!

It was a fair amount of work, but I enjoyed the process, at least once I recovered from the disappointment of trying this once, disliking the result, and then blowing that version away into digital never, never land.

I am not a drummer, though I have learned a lot about what makes a decent drum track from programming drums. And it takes me a few hours of work to come up with something that really works. Then I have to practice with that drum track so that I can get a decent recording. It seems I always have too many or too few measures and have to modify the program repeatedly until I finally get something I can use.

I just assumed that I could figure out the lead guitar part, but when I actually got to the point of recording that part, I realized that a whole lot of those notes played are the result of bent strings. I had to work at it a little bit, and then I realized that I just had to play that lead part by feel. If I had to teach someone what I was doing, it would take some time to actually break it down to figure out what I did.

Ironically, the acoustic 12-string part is incredibly simple. https://www.lightfoot.ca/wreckof.htm

Regarding technical background, I worked with the nuclear navy for a number of years on testing submarines and surface ships at one of the Navy shipyards in Washington. That is how I ended up out here in the Pacific Northwest in the first place. So I had a lot of experience in various ships' engine rooms, working with a ton of great navy people. So I think that background also provides some kind of feel for a song like this, even though the Edmund Fitzgerald was Merchant Marine, rather than military. Of course, this is technical background in addition to what's required to make a recording and video of a performance like this. I have been making YouTube videos for 3 years now and have learned a great deal. I'm sure to a lot of people, my efforts seem way over-the-top.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments Fred!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-06-2019 at 09:16 AM.