Thread: OM Overload!
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Default OM Overload!

I recently posted about getting an Eastman E20-OM. I am so enjoying the OM body shape and size! I've never had an OM before, and it's been a real eye opener. I feel like I've found a new home. Well, maybe a new room in my home anyway.

So I went o the LGS today and played a Martin OM-28, OM-21 and a 000-28 MD. I also played a Collings OM1A and a Taylor 812. They were all great, the surprise being the Taylor (I'm not a Taylor guy, didn't expect to like it, but it was really good). All different, but all great. I could have walked out of there with any of them and been pretty darn happy (except the Collings, only because it was a hog guitar and I prefer rosewood - they have a OM2 on order, so I'll check that out when it comes in). I might have walked out with tat OM-28, but that neck is just too darn skinny for me.

I have to say I'm a bit overwhelmed though. How do you guys pick a guitar when you have 5 or 6 great ones staring at you?

I'm in no hurry, still enjoying the Eastman very much. But I do eventually want to get another OM to go with it. Probably something long scale since the Eastman in short scale. Or at least something different in tone and personality.

There is another shop in town that has Furch, Santa Cruz and a few other high end brands. I'll get out there sooner or later to check them out.

What else do you guys like in an OM size? I'd prefer to stay with something more traditional looking; cutaways, space age design, super ornate woods or holes in strange places are not really my thing.