View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The Zoom H5 has built-in mics that will get you started. You will still need a DAW to process your sound files, if you choose to. There are free ones, I believe Audacity is free, to name one.

It's a hobby in itself that is fun and frustrating at the same time. The best thing to do is pick your starting point. You can start with a Zoom and a DAW would be all you additionally need to get some recordings done. Even though you may abandon the Zoom later on or buy external microphones for it, the Zoom is a good way to get started besides your smartphone. There are also other less expensive and more expensive versions of the Zoom line of recorders.

Just my personal view on things is to always start small and simple and add equipment as your needs, experience and knowledge expand - if you choose to. I'm just really beginning to go down the road of home recording. I've been recording at home for over 10 years, but it was always an afterthought as the guitar playing and music was the focus. Now as I'm doing it more, I'm paying more attention to the details. I'm trying to convince myself that good decent sounding recordings can be made at home, it the right room, without room treatments - just the right post processing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm going to try.
This sounds good to me! I’ve checked out reviews of the various Zooms and the H5 seems the most suitable. I’ve ordered one to arrive Wednesday and will then start getting to grips with it. As TBman suggests, it’s a good place to start from and I can always add to it in future.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!