View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
"We"?
ya, the humans.
Quote:
I think you need to study some blues history, and also (perhaps) some actual blues music. It's widely accepted that blues is a combination of ancestral African musical practices (North and West African) with European practices.
The "we" who created it were African-Americans. It's true they used western instruments, but they adapted them to make sounds they weren't designed for.
Instruments are not designed for any sort of music. really. Granted they have been designed to be tuned to play in any key, and have 12 notes and all that. But, that's it. They are just objects like that. You can do whatever you want with them after that. A bucket wasn't designed as a musical instrument, but in the hands of a musician, it is one.

Quote:
Then you're not really playing the blues, IMO.
Of course there are blues pianists, who used "crushed" notes to try to emulate the pitches in between. Ie, they'll play m3 and M3 together, or b5 and P5 together.
Ok, well then I don't play blues then, according to you. But if you went and asked the vast majority of the population they would answer differently.

Quote:
You need to say which 2 scales and give an example of a tune where it works
Yes, I7 acts as V/IV when going to IV, but otherwise I7 and IV7 are not functioning as dominants.
Like I say, examples please. (I'm sure you're right, but I need to know what you mean.)
12 bar blues is one, hymn to freedom is another. I posted the YouTube clip. It's not a straight blues. But you can bluesify it, play that outside pentatonic, and also the key of F, and the pentatonic inside it. It's not a I IV V kind of thing, and even has an A7 chord in it, which has a C# that is in neither scale if I recall, certainly not in F.

Almost all, if not all, of Oscar's songs are this way. But he will often play just straight blues as well. Georgia blues is a cool one, it is Bb I think, and whatever pentatonic is all the black notes.

One of Jack johnson's tunes also, off his album in between dreams, but I forget which one it is exactly. One of the good ones.

Last edited by Monk of Funk; 11-10-2013 at 09:33 PM.