View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Whatever you call them (cheeks or shoulders), IMHO, compression of the sides (denting) is a non-issue. In order for compression to take place as a result of string tension, the fingerboard would have to shift on the top, and the dovetail glued surfaces would have to come unglued. If either of these actually happens, the neck is loose, and needs to be reglued.
That is not to say that there is not some denting of the sides from undercutting the neck mating surface, but this is not due to string tension, but due to tight fitting when the joint is assembled. This denting is more common on softer woods like mahogany....much less so on rosewood or maple.
The side compression as a result of the undercut shoulder was what I inferred from George's quote above and not from George himself. I don't know what types of glues George used on his guitars then, so it's possible cold creep allowed some dovetail movement and fretboard movement. Which possibly caused him to rationalize that if there was no gap, there can be no movement. Interestingly, as a cabinetmaker/woodworker, I always abhorred air space even in a blind mortise, even in something relatively large like a door, though it did provide some challenges like allowing excess glue to escape.

Quote:
As someone who has done over 1400 resets in the last 33 years, I absolutely question the practice of leaving no gap at the end of the tenon. IMHO, it does nothing but make the joint much harder to steam apart.
My resetting record includes many, many 1920's and 1930's guitars, which are old enough that they should show some evidence of the denting of the sides causing the neck angle to change. I have not seen it.
Out of curiosity, of the resets, how many were Lowdens? There is a school of building that favors a non-reversible neck joint; much to the chagrin of some, I do understand the reasoning whether I agree or not. Of course all's not lost, but it does make the repair more "fun." I suppose the reasoning for not using the Spanish method results from the ease of construction and finishing of body and neck as separate units.