View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
Perfect! You were made for each other.
In one sense you're definitely right Vic - the guitar WAS made for me!

Guys - Thanks for the kind words; I appreciate them. I'm glad you enjoyed the video - as I said, I really like build threads that end in videos or sound files at the very least; it's the natural conclusion of a thread that ends with a finished guitar in someone's hands. Gives it closure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
What do you use to record the video and audio? And how do you sync them?
I used a pair of crossed Neumann KM184s aimed at the 12th fret, about 3ft away. Then into an M-Audio DMP3 mic preamp, Apogee Duet and Logic 9 on an iMac. I really don't have a clue how to process audio (I'm no Doug Young!) so it's all just dry and how it sounds in the room. One day I should get into mixing properly/EQ/compression/reverb etc but it's all quite daunting at the moment. I dropped the video into iMovie 08 (simply because that's what I had on the iMac) and dropped the AIF file of the sound recording into iTunes, which allows you to then import it into iMovie. I sync them there. All very basic stuff - which is what I need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteom View Post
Hello Steve, can you tell us the string gauges?
Sure - I'm settling on D'Addario "bluegrass" EJ19s these days, since they take dropped tuning well:

056, 045, 035, 025, 016, 012

Perhaps the only thing I'd change is to beef up the 012 to a 013 since that top is is almost always down to D.

I'm on leave at the moment so I will record a couple of more pieces with the guitar if I can get the house "quiet" (kids on school holidays). It's certainly cooler now!

Cheers,
Steve