View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Hey Folks!
Thanks again for all the advice! This seems to be a topic that can evoke some passionate responses and I can appreciate that but much of the details and specifics on studio info are sadly wasted on me! I know pretty much nothing about studio gear. (I have NO idea what a meter bridge is!)

I started messing with home recording in the midst of recording my 4th CD in a studio. I felt like I was always settling for something that didn't quite sound right to me because of the pressure of paying someone else to record my stuff.

I bought a Lexicon Omega, a cheap mic and a set of Tapco studio monitors and started messing around. I was able to get some OK sounding songs done in GarageBand and I learned a lot but I have no "formal" training and when people start talking "studio," it goes over my head.

I now use a RODE NTK mic for just about everything I do. It's probably not considered a great mic in the scheme of things but I like it and I can get useable vocal and guitar tracks with it.

As for monitors, I came up with what seemed like a bright idea about a year and a half ago. I wanted to get something better than my Tapcos and I was also shopping for an acoustic amp. Someone told me that Schertler stuff, in addition to sounding great live, could double as monitors in a studio due to their natural and transparent sound. So I bought a Schertler Unico and a Schertler Side extension speaker with the hopes of using them out at shows and also in the studio.

I haven't really ever used them live (I did once.) They do sound great in my little office/studio but I'm not sure how reliable they are for mixing. I'm working on determining that now by making mixes and playing those mixes on different systems. I know some folks have mentioned "learning" your speakers. Is it true that if I know how my mixes translate to other systems when mixed on my speakers, I could use what I have?

Either way, I bought a new guitar that wasn't in the budget and I figured it would probably be best to sell the Schertler stuff, put some of that money toward the new guitar and use the rest to get speakers that are designed for mixing. (What would folks in the know say about using the Schertler stuff as monitors? Is that the worst idea ever or is it doable? They really do sound great!)

So that's where I am now. I used the Schertler stuff along with my headphones to mix a simple song today and so far it sounds good on the one home stereo I tried but I still think I'd be better off with dedicated monitors. The trouble is, I can't think of getting said monitors until the Schertler stuff sells. I have it listed here on the AGF and on the DC Craigslist but I'm not getting any responses despite the hugely discounted price.

I am definitely intrigued by the Adam Audio A7's. I have read a ton of good reviews on those. We are moving in a few weeks to a town with NO serious music stores. Before I go I might take a trip to a Guitar Center and at least try to hear as many monitors as possible with my focus being on those makes and models mentioned here.

Again, I really appreciate all the help.

Matt