Thread: Parent key?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 05:00 AM

Wow, thanks so much for all your wonderful answers!
The reason for trying to pin down a key is when I go to jam nights there are a few guys who play along with sax or trumpet, and I wanted to give them a hint of the key - a few of my songs have 'odd' chord structure, so when people join in, there comes a distinct point where they get lost or it just sounds not so good. Of course they could learn the song but different musicians appear at different times.

The reason for using the A6 in that position is because the Bbmaj7 is rooted to the 6th fret, and also it allows a small walk from the Gmaj7 back to the A6 when the different parts transition to each other.

I wish I was better technically so I could record it for you, as it would show the relationship between the melody and the chords - I have a Zoom H1 recorder for all my song ideas so I could put it on that but then I get lost with the next steps for sharing.

Anyway, the song is called 'The last Alchemist in the World" and tells the story of the last in line of a spell maker whose fed up with the type of requsts for his craft.

Once again, thanks for your wonderful answers.