View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Ever listen to Chris Theile? He’s a mandolinist, of course... But same principal.

A number of “rock gods” have done electric/flatpicked classical tunes.
True that! My favorite player of four strings... fretted or not. He's the reason that I picked up the mando and owned four of them. His solo stuff as a teenager is amazing. I used to play Bach violin concertos on mando because of Chris' influence.

Regarding playing classical pieces with a plectrum... absolutely you can do it. Unless you employ a hybrid "chicken-pickin" technique, you'll likely be missing some part of the melody/harmony/counterpoint. But so what? If you enjoy it, that's what matters. The purists may scoff, but you're not playing for them. I majored in classical guitar performance in the 80s, so I was trained in traditional style. But I far prefer to play with a pick when I can make it work. I've dabbled with the movements of the Rodrigo Concerto using a pick and am not unhappy with the results.

Back in the 80s, I also used to pick violin and saxophone parts from classical scores and play those on my electric guitars... playing along with the full symphonic recordings. The Bach Brandenburg Concertos were my favorites. The sky is the limit... do whatever you enjoy that brings pleasure to you.