View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 09:52 AM

All setup fixes are DIY fixes as far as I'm concerned. From the OP, it sounds like too much relief. It's real common to think you have a fretboard hump at the neck joint when you have too much relief, so I string it up, capo the first fret and tighten the truss rod to take out the relief measuring with a fretted string at the 14th fret. This means I'm straightening the neck between the first fret and the "hump" at the 14th fret. I take it all out, dead straight fretboard, and then look to see what neck hump remains. At this stage I can use straight edges to evaluate fret dress, and I might decide I need to dress the frets. Then, I put a tiny amount of relief back in, .005" or so, set the action at the 12th fret to .065" and see what happens. Archtops do tend to move a bit at the transition between the neck heel and the fretboard extension, so a fret dress is pretty common. So I recommend people learn how to do it themselves.