Thread: Archtop Strings
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrice View Post
13s aren't too tough? I play Gypsy Jazz and use 11s! 12s on my flattop.
While light-gauge strings are de rigeur for Gypsy-jazz guitars, traditional comp boxes like your Eastman 610 generally require a heavier string to adequately drive the top. FWIW, back in their '30s-40s heyday a 13-56 set would have been considered light gauge; 14-60 was standard issue, 15-62/15-64 was the go-to among many Big Band rhythm players, wound B strings were commonplace (the New York Epiphone factory would set up your new Triumph/Broadway/Deluxe/Emperor specifically for wound B upon request), and '20s virtuoso Eddie Lang was known to use a .076 mandocello string for his low E. Not to worry - as long as the neck geometry is correct the action can be easily adjusted, and in spite of their higher tension vis-a-vis same-gauge 80/20 or phosphor bronze strings the Monels have a smoother, slinkier feel; in addition, these were the type of strings used by those guitarists who did double-duty, by converting their comp boxes for electrified use with a DeArmond pickup - if you're after that authentic Big Band-era tonal vibe a set of Monels will deliver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo_King View Post
Martin Monels here as well. I use them on my '48 Epiphone Blackstone...
FYI you've got one of the last ones - I had a '46 back in the '80s, that I traded on a script-logo/very early A-Series '47 L-7 - as they were dropped from the catalog in '49; used to use D'A EJ19 PB heavies - sorry they didn't make the Monels back then...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 05-03-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo