View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Feedback with Bose L1 Compact Newbie

I've only recently begun to experiment with the Bose L1 C, so I don't know what's normal.

I get guitar feedback when I crank the unit's volume up to 3 O'Clock, so like 80%+ of what's available. That's feedback without playing anything. Yes that is super high, but I'm trying to get a feel for this thing. This is in my living room, with a Martin Road Series guitar with the Sonitone plugged directly in (my GPC-28E with the Aura VT Enhance fed back more easily, but that has more controls so....). This was with me standing behind the unit. The central living room area measures 14 X 23 or so feet, with cathedral ceilings and it's an open plan with extra space all over the place--to the kitchen, foyer, etc.

The output on my guitar was set very high, probably 70%. Again, playing around here. But I find the output on these Martins to be relatively low so I crank things up.

Haven't had a chance to do vocals yet. With the guitar not plugged in, zero feedback at 100% gain on the Bose, so I expect the unit is fine.

Would appreciate info on the following:

1. Is the feedback I'm generating in that scenario normal
2. Would the noise in a loud bar mask the guitar a bit from generating that feedback, or make it worse.
3. Will the T1 Tonematch reduce or eliminate that problem.

I'll add that in my very quick test, the sound quality was very good up to moderate volume--especially nice since this was the Sonitone, without Tonematch or other mixer wizardy. When the L1 C was cranked way up but short of feedback range, the sound was pretty sloppy with bass. Of course the C isn't designed to blow the doors off and I had no EQ (other than bass/treble on the guitar if that counts) but still, just noting that.

If I keep my Bose L1C, 90% of its use will be in settings that don't require anything like maximum volume, but if I try to use this for these brief sets I do in my duo when my friend's band is resting between breaks, I want to know if I can expect a fighting chance to be heard--we don't need to fill the room the same way as the four-piece cover band.

Thanks for any wisdom.