View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 11:56 AM

Default Attempting to learn bluegrass/scales

Embarrassing as it is, I'm 29 years old, been playing since I was 12 but only ever had a few month stint in lessons, that was my only time learning scales. As a teenager all i mostly played was aggressive punk rock and hardcore, mostly just writing my own stuff throughout the years.
Started playing primarily acoustic around the time I became an adult, and have always just enjoyed chording my own songs, learning some other peoples songs, and in recent years finger picking, but again just my own stuff.
I know zero theory, and I know zero scales, and I can't read music but I can read tabs.

I have a book of scales, beginner type scales but it's fairly extensive I think. For the first time I've started learning, if nothing else it might be a help to my overall ability and knowledge.

I always thought bluegrass was annoying but in recent years I've grown to respect it. More recently I've watched videos of Billy Strings, Molly Tuttle etc and it has sort of sparked an interest in maybe learning some of this style of music, I'm getting tired of my limited ability and same simple songs I play.

I know it's not 'too late' to learn, but at the same time, I never disciplined myself to learn scales, theory, or anything so I feel a little discouraged as to how difficult this might be.

Nevertheless, I might give it a try. Besides learning basic scales well, where should a person start if they wanted to venture into the world of flat picking?