View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfred View Post
Hi Captain Jim!

You're a real talent and have been enjoying your recordings! I hadn't heard that, "Please Come to Boston" since when I'd hear it on the radio years ago. They seemed to play it in the fall when college started and it was hard for the protag of the song to leave his loved one, a great song you do very well with, and the others too!

I just wanted to pass this by you and have to decide very soon because of prices going up on things (Zoom q8 went up $50 suddenly and the q2n-4k up $20 with quite a few stores.) and also things selling out. I think hyper inflation looms too.

I have a new Scarlet 2i2 still sealed in box since January, a foolish mistake. Would audio be just as good quality with the q8 and I don't need the 2i2 and sell it? I have two hardly used great condenser mics, a matched pair, stored 17 yrs ha! My desktop (Windows 10) and laptop (Windows 7) are 8 yrs old and both “Duo-Core”. I must record in quiet corner of my Senior high-rise late at night, so “my plan”... sneak with guitar on my back, roller suitcase with mics (2 pop screens, and shock mounts too), 25ft long mic cables (Is 25 ft too long and lose power etc?), mic stands, q8 to be (hard to boycott Amazon but bad treatment of employees over CoVid19), camera tripod to be, desk lamp for lighting ha!, maybe bring laptop if I must (Is laptop necessary when filming, and Windows 7 too old?) or can I later add slight reverb etc once I download into my desktop? Recording just my vocals, acoustic guitar with no plug-in, and harmonica, hoping to post my original music, also 1 or 2 covers, on YouTube. Is all that doable? Do I need to copyright my originals and pay some kind of fee if I play a cover?

THANKS!!
Winfred
Winfred, you will likely get differing advice here. Sounds to me like you have enough equipment on hand to jump into this. There are thousands, perhaps millions, of covers on YouTube... your video isn't going to infringe on anyone's income. My advice: play the music you enjoy and share it.