View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi KW (& others)…

As a photographer, I shoot ALL Canon cameras/lenses. I have over 15 years, and more than $15,000 tied up in camera bodies and lenses. If I decide to switch eco-systems to (let's pretend) Sony, It's going to cost me over $20,000 in new equipment to match what I have.

It would take 6 months to switch-over to a new system and learning new hardware. In the end, the pictures would not edit faster, nor look better.

The total $15,000 expenditure (after selling all my used gear for $5,000) would not be worth the ability to shoot a few frames faster per second. That's not going to happen.

Apple is not perfect, NO COMPUTER COMPANY IS.

To suggest that people just change operating systems and hardware involves a huge investment in time and energy, and in many cases would result in loss of access to current files, and software they currently use.

People seem to forget that most of us who are Mac users (who the new Mac Pro is not designed for) are heavily invested in an eco system called Macintosh. Same could be said for people who use PCs. If you have a 10 year history with any computer system (or more), you are (A) - familiar with it, and (B) - it's major money, and work to switch. Something has to make that worthwhile.

I don't think Apple is overreaching at all with the new MacPro. And I'm not sure they are reaching back. I think they finally delivered a system for people who are involved with 4K, 6K and 8K video production…with future proofing built in. There are a lot of new, independent film makers who are buying multiple $35,000 camera bodies (before lenses and lights).

It will be interesting to see how many of these new businesses have need for a specialized tool which allows them to edit multiple threads of 8K footage in real time.
While I completely agree that " just switch over to PC" is a bit simplistic. I am not certain the cost factor to switch for most of us doing basically audio with some video and photography here in AGF land is particularly analogous to your camera situation.

And make no mistake while I prefer the OSX platform and would prefer to continue use it. (Which I imagine I will for another 3 to 5 years, with a graphics card upgrade to be able to move to Mojave if and when I decide to). If I were wanting to upgrade computer now I would probably give serious thought to PC

And I would guess anybody doing anything pro, involving video would likely consider this new MP

But what I am seeing for example over on GS is that many pros, individuals, and small studios and many semi pro , or serious artists, are frustrated with the much of cost of this new machine reflecting a heavy impetus or focus on video. (which is understandable on Apples part given it is a much bigger industry) and does not really serve their audio needs. What I see is a desire for say something like ditching the accelerator card, 4 PCIe slots, an intel 9 chip, more base memory like 64 or 128 GB and more like $4k base price

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-15-2019 at 12:09 PM.